1. Zach’s Open Championship win in 2015 catapulted him into elite company. He is only the sixth person to ever win the Claret Jug at St. Andrews and wear the Green Jacket at the Masters. The other five include Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Sam Snead, Seve Ballesteros and Nick Faldo. Not bad.
2. Zach and Kim met at their apartment complex outside Orlando in 2000 when she pretended to take out the garbage so she could meet him.
3. Zach is obsessed with the Iowa Hawkeyes (specifically the football team). He has been known to wear a Hawkeye football helmet while watching film from their practices and knows an unhealthy number of stats about each player.
4. The Johnsons named their dog Hogan after Ben Hogan, who is generally considered to be one of the best golfers in the history of the game.
5. Zach absolutely hates rollercoasters. Kim loves them.
6. Zach and his family love the outdoors. They spend a week skiing in Colorado every winter and spend summers in the mountains of North Carolina.
7. In fact, Zach loves Colorado so much that if he weren’t a professional golfer, he’d like to be a ski bum in the mountains somewhere.
8. Zach’s favorite event on the PGA TOUR is the Ryder Cup.
9. If Zach could meet anybody, it would be Chip Gaines. We’re not kidding.
10. The three best decisions Zach has ever made include: 1) marrying Kim; 2) having his three children; and 3) moving to St. Simons Island, Georgia, which he says has a small-town Iowa feel.
In October, the Zach Johnson Foundation hosted its 4th Annual Kids on Course Classic, a best shot tournament that raises money for the Kids on Course College Scholarship Fund. This event is much smaller than the summer’s Zach Johnson Foundation Classic, but just as important. This year, we had 21 foursomes and 18 flag sponsors. We netted more than $17,000 and exceeded our revenue from last year.
This event brings awareness to the future of our Kids on Course program. In five short years since the inception of Kids on Course, the program has grown from serving 50 students our first year to more than 800 students last school year and the number will keep on growing. In five short years, the second graders we met for the first time are now blossoming tweens in middle school. In five more (short) years, this inaugural class will be juniors in high school and will be contemplating what future lies ahead of them. That’s where the Kids on Course College Scholarship Fund steps in.
The Kids on Course Classic raises money to provide college scholarships to our students that will help them pay for the great expense of post-secondary education. Even though our first class of students will not enter college until the fall of 2022, we are working hard to ensure that every single Kids on Course student has the opportunity to make their future a great one.
So thank you to all who participated in this year’s Kids on Course Classic. You’re helping pave the way for tomorrow’s future leaders!
-Tracey Myers, Zach Johnson Foundation Administrator
(Photo credit: Joe Photo)